Do your bathroom or kitchen drains smell?
Looking for something to try first before you call a plumber out?
A smelly hand basin, shower, or kitchen sink may be a simple fix that will cost no more than $15. At Pasfield Plumbing, we’re passionate about sharing our knowledge with our valued customers to prevent unnecessary callouts.
How do I fix a smelly shower drain?
I like to explain to my customers that a shower drain is a lot like a toilet that doesn’t get flushed but is always used for numbers ones… Gross, right?
That’s because a shower drain doesn’t receive a rapid flash of water like the bathtub would after pulling the plug.
When a shower’s in use, the water going down the drain mixes with the soaps, etc. and once the water’s turned off, all waste just sits in the trap or drain of the shower and begins to fester before turning smelly.
Some simple steps to try and limit the smells are as follows:
- Pour a 9L bucket of clean hot water down the shower drain. Do this as quickly as possible to replicate a good flush.
- Remove the shower grate and use a toilet scrubbing brush or plunge road to break up and remove the buildup from the gully (water trap).
- Run the shower with clean hot water for 60 seconds until the drain/water trap water goes clear.
- Pour ‘Drain Refresh’ down the drain and follow the instructions on the container.
What's a good product to pour down the drains if they are smelly?
Some pros for using Drain Refresh:
- For use in drains to unclog blockages. Breaks down foodstuffs while leaving behind a fresh scent.
- Ideal for preventative maintenance.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Septic tank fresh.
- Controls bad odours.
- Eucalyptus scented.
- Australian made.
Can I use this product and process for other drains?
You sure can. You can follow the steps above on:
- Floor waste gullies
- Kitchen sink drains and traps
- Hand basin wastes and S-bends
- Laundry traps and S-bends
- Food waste disposal units, including Insinkerators
Most drains are similar in their construction and the above steps can be followed for more drains that receive waste water.